The Russian Mineralogical Society (RMS; Russian acronym RMO)
is a public scientific organization uniting specialists and scientific
groups working in the field of mineralogy and adjacent sciences.
The RMS was founded in Saint Petersburg in 1817 and is the world oldest
mineralogical society among present. From 1869 till nowdays its residence
is the Saint Petersburg Mining Institute.
Since the time of its foundation the main principle
of the RMS activity is «Mineralogy in the whole space of this
word». The RMS organizes scientific conferences,
publishes the journal "Proceedings of the
Society" ("Zapiski RMO"), monographs, takes part in the research expeditions.
The Russian Mineralogical Society is a member and one of the establishers (1958) of
the International Mineralogical Association and also a member
of the European Mineralogical
From 1948 to 1991 the Society had the name «the All-Union
Mineralogical society» and belong to the USSR Academy of Sciences.
From 1991 to 2004 the name of the Society was «Mineralogical Society
of the Russian Academy of Sciences».